Masters in renewable energy, sustainability?,

Hello Everyone,

I'm hoping some of you might have some good suggestions for me.

I have two bachelor degrees. One in business, and another in applied computer science. Since 1995, I've worked in IT. Mostly Oracle databases. Lots of contracts, and layoffs.

I keep trying to do more with my career. The other year, I passed CFA Level 1. But In retrospect, there are not many jobs advertised for techs with CFA.

I really like renewable energy. At night, I read about renewables a lot. Last year I went to the big conferences for wind, solar, electric cars, energy management, advanced technology, and one Oracle conference.

I’m debating taking a masters with a concentration in renewable energy, or sustainability. Questions:

What are the good masters programs in sustainability/renewable energy, in the USA or Canada?

But I have some bigger concerns.

A lot of the renewable energy jobs like electrical or mechanical engineering backgrounds. Given that I don't have this, is it realistic to pursue a masters?

What kind of jobs have graduates gone on to do?

Given my background, can anyone think of another route into renewables?

Thanks a lot!

3 replies

Demmie T. 15°

Americans are in desperate need of money since the economic downturn. They’ll look anywhere to get it. They're even reaching for those so-called "jobs Americans won't do," reports the Wall Street Journal. Day labor, once considered to be the almost-exclusive domain of undocumented workers, is now on the rise among former white-collar employees, male and female. Reports indicate crowds of aspiring day laborers waiting on street corners for jobs are increasingly non-Latino.

Written in September 2010

Everyone should take it's own part and do
Fe producing in their own country to minimise costs and km. Many companies already do so, fe:
there is still a lot more to do though.

Written in April 2011

Renewable Energy is our FUTURE! Michael -

Written in April 2012

Featured Companies & Orgs 

Pledge to do these related actions

Promote Energy Security and Efficiency, 52°

Draft energy policy to implement energy security and efficiency.

Get Your Own Website with a Bright Green Web Host, 88°

Your website, as an expression of your vision and passion, is the greatest shot you've ...

Stop Misleading Energy Pipedreams with your signature!, 1°

Please sign my petition "Stop Misleading Energy Pipedreams." Remind Congress that we don’t want to ...

Follow these related projects

Electronic waste and its management

2919 Tanager Ave,Los Angeles,California, United States