GM crops increase pesticide use, 11°

C Robb W. 429°

From Organic Consumers Association

"According to a recent (December 2008) global summary report from the Worldwatch Institute:

1) The U.S. leads the world, by far, in genetically engineered crop production and consumption.

2) The widespread planting of crops genetically engineered to resist specific pesticides (which allows farmers to apply more pesticides to their
crops) has created 15 new species of plants known as "superweeds" that are resistant to commonly used pesticides. In 2008, these superweeds were discovered on hundreds of thousands of acres of U.S. farmland.

3) Due to the presence of these new superweeds, GM crop production has already led to a $60 million annual increase in pesticide use in the U.S.
Most of that money goes to the same companies that developed the GM crops that were supposed to reduce pesticide use in the first place."
Learn more
http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/articl...

2 replies

Linda C. 44°

The previous reply sounds suspiciously similar to the company line spouted by Monsanto - I encourage you to view the documentary available through this site "..the world according to Monsanto". Not everyone is who the seem to be.

Written in March 2009

Linda C. 44°

Thank you for the information. I admit I have much to learn about this subject and I appreciate your help in understanding the various aspects. 2 of your statements raise questions: 1 - GM has both positive and negative impacts... Can you elaborate on the positive? and 2 - Organic farmers use toxic chemicals? Am I so naive in believing 'organic' meant natural and non-toxic?
and one more question - what do you mean specifically when you state :The only surefire way to make advances is to reduce consumption since that will result in less of either practice.? Are you saying we would need a change in Consumption of the product? As regards food sources - and soy in particular which is increasingly being used in so many products what would be an alternative in cultures that are unable to sustain other crops? This is the big negative that I perceive as a result of GOM crops and Monsanto's soy in particular.

Written in March 2009

Featured Companies & Orgs 

Pledge to do these related actions

Make An Un-BEE-lievable Impact On The Future Of Our Pollinators, 11°

I believe that this environmental program is so incredibly worthwhile. Many of us bemoan the ...

Replace your lawn/garden with native plants, 16°

Plants that have developed locally are much more likely to be adapted to your environment ...

Go GREEN with a GRIN! :D, 11°

We aim to raise awareness about environmental issues pertaining to global warming, pollution and green ...

Follow these related projects

Ocean Conservation Research

Lagunitas, United States

Queen Charlotte Wilderness Park

Marlborough, New Zealand